Shower screens are an essential part of any modern bathroom, providing a practical and stylish way to separate the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. When it comes to choosing the right shower screen, the type of glass used is a crucial consideration.
Professionals at Speedy Shower Screens have compiled four of the most commonly used shower screen glass in Melbourne and discuss their benefits versus drawbacks.
Tempered glass is one of the most popular types of glass used for shower screens. It is also known as safety glass because of its durability and resistance to breakage. Tempered glass is made by heating regular glass to a very high temperature and then cooling it rapidly. This process creates a glass that is four to five times stronger than regular glass.
- Tempered glass is resistant to breakage, making it a safe choice for shower screens.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It is available in various thicknesses and designs, allowing for a customised look.
- It is affordable compared to other types of glass.
- Although tempered glass is resistant to breakage, it can still shatter if struck with enough force.
- It is not scratch-resistant.
Laminated glass is made by bonding two or more layers of glass together with a layer of plastic in between. This type of glass is commonly used in car windshields and is gaining popularity in shower screens as well.
- Laminated glass is extremely strong and durable, making it a safe choice for shower screens.
- It is scratch-resistant, making it ideal for high-traffic areas.
- If the glass does break, the plastic layer holds the glass fragments in place, reducing the risk of injury.
- It can also provide sound insulation and UV protection.
- Laminated glass is more expensive than tempered glass.
- It is also thicker than tempered glass, which can make it more challenging to install in some situations.
Frosted glass is a popular choice for shower screens because it provides privacy while still allowing light to pass through. Frosted glass is created by either sandblasting or acid etching the glass surface, creating a frosted or opaque appearance.
- Frosted glass provides privacy without completely blocking out light.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It can be customized with various designs and patterns.
- It can enhance the overall look of the bathroom.
- Frosted glass can make the bathroom feel smaller.
- It is not as strong as tempered or laminated glass, so it is not recommended for homes with young children or pets.
Tinted glass is another popular choice for shower screens because it adds a unique touch to the bathroom decor. Tinted glass is created by adding a colorant to the glass during the manufacturing process.
- Tinted glass adds a unique touch to the bathroom decor.
- It can provide privacy and block out excess light.
- It can reduce glare and heat from the sun.
- Tinted glass can make the bathroom feel darker.
- It can be more expensive than other types of glass.
There are many different types of glass to choose from when it comes to shower screens. The right choice depends on your budget, aesthetic preferences, and safety concerns. Tempered glass is an affordable and durable option, while laminated glass provides added safety and scratch-resistance. Frosted glass provides privacy without blocking out light, and tinted glass adds a unique touch to the bathroom decor.
Consult with a Speedy Shower Screen professional to help you choose the right type of glass for your shower screen. Get in touch here.